Day one of free agency is nearly in the books; here’s your evening update on the New York Jets:
– The Jets have signed Nick Folk, who they franchised earlier this week, to a multiyear deal.
– Aside from Folk, who was already on the roster, the Jets haven’t signed anyone, and they still have about $39 million of cap room left.
– Mark Sanchez is still a Jet.
– Austin Howard, who many expected the Jets to re-sign, is meeting with the Oakland Raiders, who have plenty of cap room and need offensive line help. It looks like Howard may not be wearing green next season.
– Potential Jets target Vontae Davis re-signed with the Indianapolis Colts.
– The Jets have shown interest in cornerback Alterraun Verner, but signs are pointing to Verner re-signing with the Tennessee Titans.
Good chance #Titans CB Alterraun Verner’s deal gets done today. Still no definitive word on where he’ll end up.
— Rand Getlin (@Rand_Getlin) March 11, 2014
– The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are expected to release Darrelle Revis by Wednesday afternoon. Apparently, Revis would be more than interested in coming back to New York.
How does Darrelle Revis feel about a Jets reunion? I’m told he would love to play for Rex & his old team again. Emphasis on “love.” #nyj
— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) March 12, 2014
– The Jets do have a backup plan in case they do miss out on Howard.
As others have reported, Jets contacted Saints free agent OT Zach Strief as possible fallback if they lose Austin Howard, per source. #nyj
— Brian Costello (@BrianCoz) March 11, 2014
– They also have interest in James Jones.
Lot of chatter about Jets being interested in WR James Jones. IMO, he’s a borderline starter, turns 30 soon. I wouldn’t pay a lot. #Jets
— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) March 11, 2014