The Miami Dolphins made their first-round selection Thursday night, taking Ja’Wuan James out of the University of Tennessee. In the coming months, there will be plenty of coverage of the newest member of the Dolphins. But in the meantime, here are five things to know about this right tackle:
1. Ja’Wuan James has plenty of experience coming into the NFL, starting 49 games at right tackle for the Tennessee Volunteers. He took over the starting position from the start of his freshman year and never let it go from there on out.
2. At 6-foot-6 311 pounds James has great size, big girth and huge overall body mass. He will be able to handle the big defensive ends that are in the NFL.
3. James has really good hand placement and with that he is able to control and steer the defender the way he wants when he gets his paws on them.
4. He is a very patient pass blocker, which is good because he is able to react to the pass rusher and able to direct them the way he wants to. Patience will serve him well in the NFL.
5. Finally, James has a high football IQ and is a very smart football player, which will help him learn the playbook and better adjust to the speed of the NFL game.
Overall, this was a safe pick for the Miami Dolphins and James should be a very solid player. On the downside, they might have been able to get him in the second round or a player similar to him, and that would have freed them to address another need. Regardless, this was a safe, solid pick for the Dolphins and Ryan Tannehill should feel a little more protected this coming season.
For more draft coverage, be sure to check cover32.com throughout the weekend.