– 49ers’ Aldon Smith pleads no contest to DUI, weapons charges (READ)
On Wednesday, 49ers linebacker, Aldon Smith, plead no contest to misdemeanor DUI and three felony counts of possessing illegal assault rifles. Smith faces a wide range of potential consequences including the possibility of serious jail time. Smith also faces reprimand from the league resulting from his no contest plea. Smith is due back in court on July 25 for sentencing.
– Smith says he’s ‘a good person’; do you believe him? (READ)
– LaMichael James joins 49ers’ voluntary workouts (READ)
49ers running back LaMichael James joined the team’s voluntary offseason workouts this week. James had previously been in his home state of Texas throughout the past month and missed the start of the team’s voluntary workouts. Some viewed James’ absence as a sign of his discontent with his role on the team and a request for a trade. GM Trent Baalke and head coach Jim Harbaugh disregarded any rumors regarding James’ absence. The 49ers mandatory minicamp begins June 16th.
– 49ers restructure Bowman’s deal to gain salary cap space (READ)
Navarro Bowman agreed to restructure his current contract to clear salary cap room. The restructuring created $2.616 million in cap space. The 49ers converted $3.27 million of Bowman’s 2014 base salary into an up-front signing bonus that drops his 2014 cap number from $7.05 million to $4.434 million. The $49ers are currently $2.873 million under the salary cap with seven of their twelve draft picks signed.
– Is Michael Crabtree worth $10 million a year? (READ)
– A proposed new uniform for the 49ers is pretty sweet (READ)
– The 49ers’ top five position battles (READ)
– Which San Francisco draft picks will see the most action in 2014? (READ)