Last month, Broncos Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase announced that Montee Ball would likely be the starting running back next season.
“I would say everybody behind Montee is competing for that second spot,” Gase said.
Ronnie Hillman, however, doesn’t want that second spot. He wants to start. “The job’s open, and I’m going after it,” he said to local media this week. “I’m not working to be number two.”
Drafted by the Broncos in the third round of the 2012 draft, Hillman recorded 218 yards rushing and one touchdown during the 2013 season, but had a clear fumbling problem that kept him on the bench most of the season.
— 9NEWS Sports Denver (@9NEWSSports) June 3, 2014
“Right now, I’m not really paying attention to the depth chart,” Hillman continued. “I’m not practicing or being out here to be the No. 2. I’m going to be out here doing what I can and showing what I can going into next year.”
It’s a long climb, but you’ve got to like Hillman’s desire to once again play a role of any sort of significance on this team.