The Kansas City Chiefs head into their first week of mandatory mini camp this week. Here’s what people are talking about.
1) Dwayne Bowe says Alex Smith is like a brother-in-law (via Kansas City Star).
“Last year everyone was getting a feel for it. Now it’s like a brother-in-law. He’s doing great, and that’s all you can ask for.”
2) Sean Smith’s status as a starter is in flux (via Chiefs Spin).
“We’ll see,” Reid said when asked how long Smith would stay with the second team. “The other guys are performing well so we will see.”
3) Tight end Travis Kelce may participate in mini camp (via ESPN).
“The Chiefs are counting on Kelce to boost their passing game. He showed a nice ability last year as a downfield receiver but his rookie season was ruined in the preseason because of a knee ailment.”
4) First round Dee Ford continues to win over Chiefs fans (via ESPN).
“The tributes to Kansas City Chiefs rookie outside linebacker Dee Ford are already rolling in. Tamba Hali compared Ford’s first step as a pass-rusher to that of Derrick Thomas, a Pro Football Hall of Famer.”
5) Eric Berry taking on more of a leadership role (via Kansas City Star).
“One thing Kendrick did for us, he made coaches look like we were very intelligent,” Emmitt Thomas said. “There’s a lot of stuff we might not have covered and it shows up in the game, but he could make on-the-field adjustments for us.”
6) Brandon Flowers release frees up cap space for Chiefs (via Delaware Online).
“Already bumping up against the salary cap, the Chiefs will save about $7.25 million this season and $7.5 million next season. That money could be used to help the team sign quarterback Alex Smith and linebacker Justin Houston to contract extensions.”
Check back to cover32 for the latest on Chiefs offseason news and notes.