The Houston Texans have had an interesting draft history. There have been some years when the Texans have an excellent draft. There have been others when looking back, the Texans came away with absolutely nothing. While this not unique to the Texans, overall Houston has had a good draft history. This is a list counting down the best draft classes in the history of the Houston Texans.
5. 2011: The 2011 NFL Draft brought Houston the face of their franchise, J.J. Watt. Unfortunately for them that was about it. Other notable players in this class include Derek Newton and T.J. Yates.
4. 2013: The class that brought Houston DeAndre Hopkins. Hopkins is one of the best wide receivers in the NFL. The dominance of Hopkins has makes the Houston offense a legitimate threat due to his ability to constantly put pressure on the defense. Other notable players selected in 2013 include Ryan Griffin, David Quesenberry and D.J. Swearinger.
3. 2014: Not many teams are able to find as many contributors on their team in one single draft class. Houston was able to find multiple players who provide consistent contributions while only missing on a few draft picks. Players selected in 2014 include Jadeveon Clowney, Xavier Su’a-Filo, C.J. Fiedorowicz, Tom Savage, Alfred Blue, Jay Prosch and Andre Hal.
2. 2009: While the 2009 draft class has fewer notable players, their impact for the franchise are greater than the 2014 class. As a result of selecting three Pro Bowler’s in 2009, this class ranks second. Players selected in 2009 include Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin and Glover Quin.
1. 2006: The 2006 draft class is the best draft class in Texans history. This is due to selecting three Pro Bowl selections who provided even more production. The overall impact of a draft class this early in the history of a franchise can not be understated. These players were building blocks for a team still finding their identity. While some of the best players selected didn’t last long in Houston, they still made an impact league wide. Players selected in 2006 include Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Owen Daniels and Eric Winston.
There you have it, the Top 5 draft classes in the history of the Houston Texans. Even with a relatively short history, they were able to bunch together draft classes with multiple impact selections.