The Eagles released their 53-man roster on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017. The 2017-2018 Eagles lineup is stacked at running back and receiver. But notably, the offensive line is a bit short. Check out who made the team, who didn’t and what it means for the season!
What’s Trending: Is Ezekiel Elliot the victim of a league orchestrated conspiracy
NFL Transactions: Vikings acquire CB, Tramine Brock, via trade with Seahawks
2017 Eagles 53 man roster released
The quarterback situation is finally settled. Not surprisingly, Carson Wentz remains the starter and Nick Foles is the backup. But Foles continues to be plagued with an elbow injury.
At running back, the Eagles are loaded with Darren Sproles, Wendell Smallwood, LeGarrette Blount, Donnel Pumphrey, and Corey Clement. Byron Marshall was cut from the squad. That’s a whopping five RBs on the Eagles roster. Similarly, the wide receiver slot is packed with Torrey Smith, Nelson Agholor, Mack Hollins, Shelton Gibson, Marcus Johnson, and Alshon Jeffrey. Wideouts Greg Ward and Bryce Treggs didn’t make the team.
Defensive ends Vinny Curry, Derek Barnett, Steven Means, and Chris Long all made the cut with DE Alex McCalister being let go. Oddly, the offensive line is rather meager with a mere eight players on the roster. With Dillon Gordon and Taylor Hart cut, that leaves Jason Kelce, Jason Peters, Brandon Brooks, Lane Johnson, Halapoulivaati Vaiti, Stefen Wisniewski, Chance Warmack, and Isaac Seumalo. It’s a pretty barren OL, and doesn’t leave much room for injury.
The defensive line features veteran DEs Curry, Graham, and Long. Coupled with a solid string of defensive tackles in Fletcher Cox, Tim Jernigan, Destiny Vaeao, Beau Allen, and Elijah Qualls, the DL should be set.
It’s strange to see such a deep set of RBs and WRs with a rather thin OL. There’s almost no room for injury, and run coverage in the preseason was lacking. Providing there are few injuries to the OL, there are plenty of passing options and running options. But the sparse OL could lead to poor run coverage which might as the season progresses limit the Eagles’ offensive diversity. But with offensive line vets like Peters and Kelce, that may not be an issue.
On the defensive side, the likes of Najee Goode, Graham, Long, Curry, and Means provide a formidable stopping force.
Check out the full roster below. What are your thoughts on the Eagles 53-man roster?
- QB: Carson Wentz, Nick Foles
- TE: Brent Celek, Zach Ertz, Trey Burton
- RB: Darren Sproles, Legarrette Blount, Wendell Smallwood, Donnel Pumphrey, Corey Clement,
- WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Nelson Agholor, Mack Hollins, Shelton Gibson, Torrey Smith, Marcus Johnson
- DE: Brandon Graham, Chris Long, Vinny Curry, Steven Means, Derek Barnett
- OL: Jason Peters, Jason Kelce, Brandon Brooks, Isaac Seumalo, Lane Johnson, Chance Warmack, Stefen Wisniewski, Halapoulivaati Vaitai
- DT: Fletcher Cox, Beau Allen, Tim Jernigan, Elijah Qualls, Destiny Vaeao
- LB: Mychal Kendricks, Najee Goode, Joe Walker, Kamu Grugier-Hill, Nigel Bradham, Jordan Hicks
- S: Malcolm Jenkins, Corey Graham, Chris Maragos, Jaylen Watkins, Rodney McLeod
- CB: Jalen Mills, Patrick Robinson, Rasul Douglas, Dexter McDougle, Ronald Darby
- LS: Rock Lovato
- P: Donnie Jones
- K: Caleb Sturgis